Home | About Us | Cookie Policy | Contact

Your questions answered

We've put together some commonly asked questions to give you more information about Free Spirit and the cover we offer.

If you have a question that is not answered below please use the contact us page.

Simply click on the question to bring up the answer.

Existing medical conditions
  • Why do I need cover for existing medical condition(s)?
    Medical costs abroad can be very expensive especially if you have to be repatriated home. Without appropriate insurance cover you could be left severely out of pocket. You must therefore read the Medical Warranty that is shown as you progress through this website in getting a quote and to accurately declare all medical conditions. If you give incorrect answers or forget to tell us about a medical condition, this could lead to a claim not being paid.
  • What existing medical condition(s) do I need to declare?
    So that you (and anyone to be insured under Free Spirit) can be covered for existing medical condition(s), you must include all relevant medical history as shown below.

    A: Any respiratory condition (relating to the lungs or breathing); any heart, circulatory, kidney, liver, any condition relating to the pancreas e.g. diabetes, cerebral condition (relating to the brain); any stroke or central nervous system disorder; for which you have received treatment within the last 5 years

    B: Any cancer for which you have received any diagnosis or treatment within the last 5 years.

    C: Any disease, illness or injury for which you have received surgery, in-patient or out-patient treatment, investigations in a hospital or clinic or have seen a specialist consultant within the last 2 years.

    D: Any psychiatric or psychological condition for which you have been diagnosed and/or treated including prescribed medication within the last 2 years.
  • Can I buy a policy if I have a terminal condition?
    We cannot cover terminal conditions on this website as we need to provide you with an individual assessment. Please contact us on 0800 170 7704 or 02392 419 865 and we will discuss your requirements to see if cover can be provided. We are open .
  • I am on a waiting list for treatment/investigation, can I apply for cover?
    No. However please contact us on 0800 170 7704 or 02392 419 865 once treatment/investigation has been completed so that we can review whether cover can be provided. We are open .
  • I’m taking medication to control my medical condition; do I still need to declare it?
    Yes, the Underwriters need to be aware of all medical conditions including those that are under control by medication. This is important as otherwise a claim may be invalidated if medical conditions are not disclosed.
  • Are you able to quote and provide cover for a condition that has not yet been diagnosed?
    We can only medically screen a condition that has been diagnosed by the medical profession and therefore, we cannot provide a quote or offer cover until such time as your medical condition has been diagnosed.
  • In 2 week's time I will have finished my treatment, can I say ‘no’ to the question concerning ongoing treatment?
    No, you must declare the position as of today.
Single Trip
  • Is there an age limit?
    There is no upper age limit.
  • What is the maximum duration?
    The maximum duration of any single trip is 94 days (although for persons aged 76 years and over the maximum duration is 45 days). If you are travelling for longer than 45 days and you are aged 76 or over, please call us on 0800 170 7704 or 023 9241 9080, we are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, closed Bank Holidays.
  • What are the Geographical Areas?
    United Kingdom & Isle of Man

    Europe 1 - (other than Europe 2 countries as listed below) including: Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Corsica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia (west of the Ural mountains), San Marino, Sicily, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Sweden.

    Europe 2 - including Europe 1 shown above and the remaining countries west of the Ural mountains and Andorra, Balearics, Canary Islands, Cyprus, Greece, Morocco, Spain, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey.

    Australia & New Zealand (including up to 48 hours stopover in a country within a Worldwide area).

    Worldwide - including Egypt and Israel but excluding Canada, Caribbean, China, Hong Kong & USA.

    Worldwide - including Canada, Caribbean, China, Hong Kong & USA.

    Full details of countries covered are shown under 'Geographical Areas' on page 11 in the Policy Booklet.
  • Do you cover one-way trips?
    No, Free Spirit only covers round trips that start in and return to the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. However, please contact us on 0800 170 7704 or 02392 419 865 as we may be able to offer an alternative policy. We are open .
  • Can I extend my policy if I decide to stay longer?
    Subject to Underwriters agreement, we can extend a Single Trip policy providing you let us know BEFORE your policy expires and that at the time of requesting the extension you are not intending to make a claim.

    Please note - this is subject to the total trip duration including the extended period not exceeding 94 days (45 days if aged 76 years or over),which is the maximum trip duration of the Single Trip policy. You will be advised of the additional premium at the time of the request.

    Please contact us on 0800 170 7704 or 02392 419 865 to discuss your requirements. We are open .
Annual Multi-trip
  • Is there an age limit?
    There is no upper age limit.
  • How many times can I travel and how long can each trip be?
    You can travel as often as you like within the 12 month period. There is a limit of 31 days (Super) and 45 days (Super Duper) for any one trip.
  • What are the Geographical Areas?
    Europe 2 - all countries west of the Ural Mountains including: Andorra, Austria, Azores, Balearics, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Channel Islands, Corsica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Monaco, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia (west of the Ural mountains), San Marino, Sicily, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey and the United Kingdom

    Worldwide - excluding Canada, Caribbean, China, Hong Kong and USA

    Worldwide - including Canada, Caribbean, China, Hong Kong and USA

    Full details of countries covered are shown under 'Geographical Areas' on page 10 in the Policy Booklet.
  • Am I covered for trips in the UK?
    Yes, provided you have at least two nights pre-booked accommodation.
  • Can I extend my policy if I am abroad and want to stay over the maximum trip limit?
    We are not able to extend the Annual Multi-trip policy. The maximum duration for any one trip is 31 days (Super) and 45 days (Super Duper).
  • Under an Annual Multi-trip policy, can children travel independently of an insured adult?
    No. Adults may travel independently but children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an insured adult.
24 hour medical emergency assistance
  • Do you have a 24 hour medical emergency service?
    Yes, the Free Spirit policy has a 24-hour medical emergency and repatriation service provided by:

    Free Spirit – 24 hour Medical Emergency Assistance
    +44 (0) 292 047 4146

    Further details of this service are shown in your Policy Booklet.

    Staff are on call 24 hours a day throughout the year. They will, when necessary, guarantee medical bills, arrange repatriation and, if required, provide a medical escort.
  • In the event of a medical emergency whilst abroad, do I have to pay my medical bills myself?
    If you are asked to pay a small bill for medicines and/or outpatient treatment it is often easier to settle your bill direct, keep all receipts and claim for the costs incurred on your return home.

    If you are admitted as an inpatient, or you require outpatient treatment which is likely to exceed £300, then you must contact the 24 hour Medical Emergency Assistant as soon as possible. They will then arrange for those medical expenses covered by the policy to be paid direct to the hospital/clinic.
Making a claim
  • How do I make a claim?
    Click here for details. Full details of what you need to do to make a claim are also shown in your Policy Booklet.
  • How quickly will you settle my claim?
    We aim to provide a first class claims service and undertake to respond within 5 working days of receipt of correspondence.
Buying online
  • Is your website secure?
    Yes. The security of your personal information and payment details is of utmost importance to us. We use 128-bit encrypted SSL to help keep all of your data safe.
  • How can I pay for my policy?
    You can pay by debit or credit card. We accept Mastercard and Visa.
  • How will I receive my travel insurance policy documents?
    Your Schedule of Insurance and policy documents are delivered to the email address you provide.
  • Do I need to take my policy documents with me on holiday?
    Yes, you should print a copy of your Schedule of Insurance and Policy Booklet and carry them with you during your trip.

    The Policy Booklet includes important telephone numbers including the 24-hour medical emergency service that is available for assistance, making arrangements for hospital admission, repatriation and authorisation of medical expenses as well as full details of the cover provided.
  • Can I get my money back if I want to cancel?
    Yes, if you are not completely satisfied with the cover provided you may return your policy documents to us within 14 days of receipt, provided that you have not already travelled and are not making or intend to make a claim.
Other common questions
  • Who are Free Spirit?
    Free Spirit is a trading name of travel insurance specialists P J Hayman & Company Limited. For further details click here
  • Who are the Insurers?
    Free Spirit is underwritten by AmTrust Europe Limited for travel to all countries except Cuba which is insured by SOLID Försäkringar.

    Financial failure is provided by International Passenger Protection Limited and underwritten by Certain Underwriters at Lloyds.

    AmTrust Europe Limited is registered in England number 1229676 at Market Square House, St James’s Street, Nottingham NG1 6FG. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Financial Services Register number 202189. Member of the Association of British Insurers.

    SOLID Försäkringar, Box 22068, 250 22 Helsingborg, Sweden. Corp ID No 516401-8482. This policy is effected in England and is subject to the Laws of England and Wales. SOLID is a Swedish based insurance company regulated by Finansinspektionen, the Financial Supervisory Authority Sweden (Institute Number: 20090) and passported into the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Firm Reference Number: 401229).

    International Passenger Protection Limited - Registered Office: IPP House, 22-26 Station Road, West Wickham, Kent BR4 0PR. Registered in England 2498563. International Passenger Protection Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

    These details can be checked on the Financial Services Register by visiting www.fca.org.uk or by calling 0800 111 6768.
  • Are there countries that are not covered?
    Free Spirit will cover all countries and areas except those which the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office or the World Health Organisation (WHO) or similar body has advised against all or all but essential travel.
  • Can I take out a policy for my child aged under 18 years of age?
    No, they must be insured with an accompanying adult on the same policy.
  • Do all travellers, including those without existing medical conditions, need to be insured on the same Free Spirit policy?
    We suggest that all travellers are insured on the same Free Spirit travel insurance policy. Free Spirit also covers people without existing medical conditions which means you can insure your travelling companions on the same policy. As well as reduced premiums for those without medical conditions, you will ensure there are no gaps in cover that could arise if separate policies are purchased. For example, if you had to cancel your holiday due to your medical condition, your travelling companions on the same policy would also be covered for cancellation which may not be the case if they had taken out a policy elsewhere.
  • Can we exclude certain sections of cover for premium discounts?
    Yes, Free Spirit allows you to delete Cancellation and curtailment and/or Baggage and passport.
  • Can I delete the standard policy excess?
    No, it is not possible to delete the policy excess.
  • How do I know what I'm covered for?
    Please read the Policy Booklet for details of the cover.
  • Do you cover Winter Sports activities?
    Free Spirit includes cover for a range of Winter Sports activities on payment of an additional premium. Click here to view activities included in the Winter Sports cover option.
  • Am I covered for sport and leisure activities?
    Free Spirit automatically covers a wide range of activities. Click here to view the Acceptable Activities covered as standard.
  • Do I need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?
    An EHIC entitles you to reduced-cost, sometimes free, medical treatment that becomes necessary while you are in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland. The EEA consists of the European Union (EU) countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

    The card gives access to state-provided medical treatment only. Remember, this might not cover all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care.

    You may apply for an EHIC online at: www.ehic.org.uk or by calling 0300 330 1350.

    Please note: An EHIC is no substitute for travel insurance cover.
  • Can you resend my policy to me?
    Yes. Please email us at contact@freespirittravelinsurance.com with your policy number (if known), the lead name and the address (for verification) and we will then resend the policy.
  • I use a wheelchair/mobility aid, is it covered?
    Yes, wheelchairs/mobility aids are covered for loss or damage up to £1,000 (Super) or £2,000 (Super Duper).
  • Will I be covered if my tour operator or airline goes bust?
    If you have to cancel your holiday/trip due to the financial failure of your travel or accommodation provider such as Scheduled Airline, Hotel, Train Operator including Eurostar, Car ferries. Villas Abroad and Cottages in the UK, Coach Operator, Car Hire Company, Caravan Site, Campsite, Mobile Home, Camper Rental, Safaris, Excursions, Eurotunnel or Theme Parks such as Disney Land Paris, Super Duper provides cover for up to £2,500 for irrecoverable costs. You must have booked individual elements of your trip separately prior to departure and they do not form part of an inclusive holiday. Please note there is no cover for Financial failure under Super.
Related Information
Get a travel insurance quote
 Save £10 online