Our guide to medical travel insurance
The important part of buying travel insurance, especially if you live with existing medical conditions is to get the right cover. The last thing you want is to purchase a policy only to find it doesn’t cover the things you need. Should things go wrong while on holiday, your Free Spirit insurance policy could be your saviour!
What are pre-existing conditions?
Essentially, they can be anything you’ve received a diagnosis for or take prescribed medication for, like asthma, angina or hypertension and epilepsy or even learning difficulties.
It is very important to disclose all of your medical history when obtaining a quote, as failing to mention your conditions could invalidate your policy. We will ask you all the questions needed to enable you to declare all of your conditions.
Why cover your medical conditions before you travel?
It is not a legal requirement to cover your existing conditions when travelling, however if the unfortunate should happen and you had a medical emergency, you could have to pay out thousands of pounds in medical costs or even repatriation charges if medically necessary.
There are many standard policies available at very cheap prices, however do not be fooled! It is unlikely they will include the cover you need and you could be left with hefty bills, especially in the event you had to cancel because of your conditions.
Top tips for buying the best insurance for travelling with a medical condition
- Always add your travelling companions to your policy. They too can claim if you needed to cancel your holiday because of your medical condition or if it had to be cut short while away because you became unwell.
- Buy holiday insurance through a specialist provider as they can be more sympathetic to your unique medical problems and these policies are specially designed for people like you.
- Consider changing your destination to Europe rather than USA, Canada or the Caribbean. Medical costs can be very expensive in these areas of the world and repatriation is far from cheap. This doesn’t mean we can’t cover you outside Europe, however be prepared for slightly higher premiums.
- Check that your policy has cover not just for emergency medical and cancellation costs but how about your personal belongings and travel documents. If your flight is delayed does it cover you for travel delay or journey disruption? In the event you lose your prescribed medication or medical aids, are these covered?
- Check the excess you will have to pay in the event of claim. Some standard policies with cheap prices may be tempting, but the excess may catch you out!
Get a specialist medical travel quote now!
How to apply
Obtaining an instant quote and arranging cover with Free Spirit could not be easier. Our fully interactive website includes online medical screening
and you will also receive a £10 discount
when you purchase online!
We’re on hand to help
Free Spirit has a dedicated UK based customer service team to answer any questions and deal with your enquiries. Call 0845 230 5000, we are open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday (closed Bank Holidays) and your call will be treated with the utmost confidentiality.
Key features of Free Spirit travel medical insurance:
- Most medical conditions and disabilities covered
- No upper age limit on Single Trip and Annual Multi-trip
- Choice of two cover options – Super and Super Duper
- Single trips covered up to 94 days
- Annual Multi-trip provides unlimited number of trips - travel up to 31 days per trip (Super) and 45 days (Super Duper)
- Journey disruption / Airspace closure cover
Super Duper only - provides cover as a result of disruption caused by a natural disaster such as a volcanic eruption, or if the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises against travel to your holiday destination. Cover applies if you book individual elements of your trip separately. Please see Policy Booklet for full details.
- Loss or damage to medical aids and prescribed medications
- Premium savings by deleting baggage cover if this is not needed
Peace of mind
Providing cover for people with medical needs is what makes Free Spirit different to standard travel insurance policies.
Free Spirit was the first scheme of its type specifically dedicated to those being declined travel insurance cover elsewhere, due to their health. It is now one of the UK’s largest specialist travel insurance schemes for people with pre existing conditions and disabilities.
We look at people’s health on an individual basis as we are aware everyone is unique and we will try and cover the majority of medical conditions, including a terminal prognosis.
Please read the Policy Booklet
for the full terms and conditions of this specialist medical travel insurance cover to make sure it’s suitable for your needs.