Click to get a quoteCall us on 0800 170 7704

Do I need to register for the Medicare scheme if I’m travelling to Australia?

If you are travelling to Australia you can enrol in Medicare which will entitle you to subsidised hospital treatments and medicines. You can do this by contacting a local Medicare office in Australia. All claims for refunds under the Medicare scheme must be made before you leave Australia. For more information on Medicare: visit: or email:

How do I retrieve my quote?

When you saved your quote, you will have been sent an email with your saved quote details and a link to retrieve your quote. Click on the link within this email and you will be taken to your saved quote.

If you have any problems retrieving your quote, please call us on 0800 170 7704 and we should be able to retrieve your quote for you.

Do I need vaccinations before I travel?

You should check the GOV.UK website at least six weeks before you travel to see if you will need any vaccinations or other preventive measures. You may also like to speak to your G.P.

Please note that we will not cover any expenses incurred as a result of a tropical disease where you have not had the recommended inoculations and/or taken the recommended medication.

What do I do if my passport is lost or stolen abroad?

You must report any loss or thefts of passports to the local police as soon as possible. You will need the crime reference details which they will provide you with. You also need to report the loss or theft to the British embassy, consulate or high commission of the country you are in. They will be able to provide you with an emergency travel document. You can get details of your local British embassy, high commission or consulate by calling +44 (0)20 7008 1500 or by visiting the GOV.UK website. Please contact the British embassy, high commission or consulate before arranging travel to see them as you may need to book an appointment first.

Will you cover my cruise?

Free Spirit covers all types of cruises on both Single Trip and Annual Multi-trip policies, including Caribbean cruises, Mediterranean cruises and short break cruises.

If you are visiting multiple countries on your cruise, please make sure you select the correct geographical area when getting a quote.

Visit our Cruise page for more information.

Will I be covered if my airline goes bust?

If you have to cancel your holiday/trip due to the financial failure of the airline providing your scheduled flight. Super Duper cover provides up to £2,500 for irrecoverable costs under Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance. Please note there is no cover for Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance under Super cover.

I use a wheelchair/mobility aid, is it covered?

Yes, wheelchairs/mobility aids are covered for loss or damage up to £1,000 (Super) or £2,000 (Super Duper).

Can you resend my policy to me?

Please contact us with your policy number (if known), the lead name and the address (for verification) and we will then resend the policy.

Do I need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

An EHIC entitles you to reduced-cost, sometimes free, medical treatment that becomes necessary while you are in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland. The EEA consists of the European Union (EU) countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

The card gives access to state-provided medical treatment only. Remember, this might not cover all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care.

You may apply for an EHIC online at: or by calling 0300 330 1350.

Please note: An EHIC is no substitute for travel insurance cover. If you are admitted to a private hospital, the EHIC will not cover your treatment costs, nor will it cover any repatriation costs to get you back home.

Am I covered for sport and leisure activities?

Free Spirit automatically covers a wide range of activities. You must ensure that your usual treating G.P. is happy for you to participate in any sport or leisure activity. You must also follow the safety guidelines for the activity concerned and where applicable use the appropriate and recommended safety equipment. Please read the Insurance Policy for details of the ‘Acceptable Activities’ covered as standard.