Atrial Fibrillation Travel Insurance
What is atrial fibrillation?
Atrial fibrillation is the most common heart rhythm disturbance, affecting around one million people in the UK according to the AF Association. Atrial fibrillation can affect adults of any age, but it becomes more common as you get older. It affects about 7 in 100 people aged over 65, and more men than women have it.
Don’t let having atrial fibrillation stop you from travelling. Just make sure you take a few steps to prepare in advance, so you can have an enjoyable and worry-free trip.
- Buy specialist atrial fibrillation travel cover
- Take all of the medications you’ll need for your trip, and keep them in your carry-on luggage.
- During your flight, walk around when you can to prevent blood clots in your legs. Check with your doctor to see if you need to wear compression stockings.
- Before you leave, look at medical centres in or close to your holiday destination just in case you have a medical emergency.
- You could wear a medical alert bracelet with information about your condition printed on it.
It’s always worth discussing travelling with atrial fibrillation with your local GP to ensure they have no concerns about your travel plans. They may be able to offer other suggestions about travelling with your condition that you hadn’t thought about.
Why it’s vital to buy specialist heart condition travel cover?
You may find that standard travel insurance policies will not offer cover for pre-existing medical conditions such as atrial fibrillation and this can lead to people travelling abroad, without adequate cover and risking large medical bills.
No one likes to think that something may happen while travelling abroad, but being prepared with comprehensive travel insurance which covers all of your medical conditions, will give you and your loved ones the peace of mind to relax and enjoy a foreign holiday just the way it should be!
Don’t worry if you have other associated medical conditions, our specialist medical screening team will ask you the necessary questions so that all of your medical conditions can be considered. Terms and conditions may apply of course.
Don’t get stung with expensive cancellation & medical costs
Emergency medical care abroad can be hugely expensive and run into thousands of pounds. With our heart condition travel insurance policy, you’ll automatically be covered for up to £5 million of emergency medical expenses (£10 million with Super Duper). You’ll also have 24-hour access to an emergency medical assistance team, wherever you are in the world.
Our specialist travel insurance also gives you cover for cancellation or curtailment/loss of holiday. Should you need to cancel your holiday due to your screened medical conditions, Free Spirit provides a minimum level of cover on the Super policy or £2,500 in respect of your unused travel and accommodation costs which you have already paid for or, are contracted to pay and where you are unable to recover from any other source. Terms & conditions will apply of course.
Remember all of our limits of cover are per person. This means Free Spirit can give you the peace of mind protection you need prior to departure and while you are travelling.
Why not try us and get a quote now
Our fully interactive website includes online medical screening.
We will ask you some questions about your atrial fibrillation so that you get the travel insurance cover you need:
- How has your condition been treated?
- How many unplanned hospital visits for your irregular heartbeat have you had in the last 12 months?
- Do you have any further investigation or treatment planned?
- Are you on medication to thin the blood (not including aspirin) which requires regular blood tests?
- Has your heart rhythm ever caused collapses, faints or blackouts?
- Have you ever been told that the arteries in your heart are blocked or narrowed?
- Have you ever had angina and/or a heart attack?
- Do you have (or are you on medication for) heart-related breathlessness or ankle swelling?
- Have you ever had a stroke or a mini-stroke (TIA)?
We’re here to help you
We know that some people would rather speak to us so, if you choose to purchase your policy over the phone, please call 02392 419 080 to speak to our dedicated UK based customer services team.
For details of cover read our insurance policy or click here for details of the limits of cover. Alternatively, visit our heart conditions travel insurance page to see some of the other heart problems that we may cover.
Travelling abroad with a heart problem can be a concern. However, by ensuring you are properly prepared will allow you to relax and have an enjoyable break.