Travel insurance for people with heart failure
A confusingly named condition, heart failure doesn’t actually mean that a person’s heart has failed but rather that it isn’t working as effectively as it should be. People diagnosed with heart failure have a heart which is unable to pump blood around the body effectively as it’s become too weak or stiff. Heart failure is a long-term condition which can progress over time, but it can also be effectively managed with medication. This means that having heart failure does not mean that you cannot enjoy your life, and enjoy experiences such as holidays and travel. In fact, medical evidence shows that rest and relaxation is vital for heart failure patients.
At Free Spirit we specialise in providing travel insurance to people with existing or long-term medical conditions such as heart failure, enabling them to take a holiday safe in the knowledge that they have protection should they need medical assistance. In the event of an emergency, we have a 24-hour emergency helpline available to you.
Age is also no barrier with our travel insurance. You can even extend your travel insurance to cover your holiday companions, ensuring that if your medical condition prevents you from travelling – they will also be covered.
Do I need cover?
If you have any type of medical condition, it’s vital that you have travel insurance in place before you head off on holiday either within the UK or abroad. While heart failure can be effectively managed with medication it is also a very serious condition. In the event that you require medical treatment while travelling and you don’t have insurance, you could be left with an extremely high medical expenses bill.
Having cover in place gives you peace of mind that should you fall ill while away you can get medical treatment quickly and efficiently. It also provides you cover as soon as you get the insurance (on a single trip basis, however in the case of an annual the cover would not be in place until the inception date) so if you fall ill and can’t go on your holiday, some of the cost can be refunded.
Getting travel insurance when you have heart failure
Free Spirit are specialists in providing travel insurance to people with heart failure. Obtaining a quote is simple and easy, and doesn’t require you to have a medical. Instead, you can either apply online or call one of our team of experts to see what travel insurance is suitable for you. You’ll be asked a range of questions which will help us to identify a policy suitable for you and your needs.
Typically a person with heart failure will be asked:
- When did your symptoms start? (e.g. breathlessness or ankle swelling)
- How many medicines do you take for your heart failure?
- How short of breath do you get when you are walking on flat ground?
- Can you lie down flat without becoming short of breath?
- How many unplanned hospital visits have you had for this condition in the last twelve months?
- Have you ever had angina and/or a heart attack?
- Have you ever been a smoker?
Why choose Free Spirit heart failure travel insurance?
- No upper age limit on both single trip and annual multi-trip policies
- A choice of two cover options – Super and Super Duper
- Single trips covered for up to 94 days (although for persons aged 76 years and over the maximum duration is 45 days)
- Annual multi-trip policies provide cover for an unlimited number of trips – and you can travel for up to 31 days per trip (Super) and 45 days (Super Duper)*
- Cover for journey disruption or airspace closure cover*
- Cover provided for loss or damage to medical aids and any prescribed medication you have for your heart failure
- Dedicated 24-hour emergency medical assistance helpline always available to help when you need it most
*Included with Super Duper cover only
Get a quote today
We have two simple ways in which you can get a quote for travel insurance if you suffer from heart failure. You can obtain a quote quickly and easily online or call our friendly team of experts on 02392 419 080.
Lines are open Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm although we are closed on Bank Holidays. We aim to provide you with a decision as quickly as possible and if we can find an insurance policy which suits you, cover can be put in place immediately.
Things to consider before you travel
Travelling on holiday is an ideal time to enjoy some rest and relaxation, both of which can be of great help to people with heart failure. However, it is important to ensure that you are adequately prepared.
Before you travel you’ll need to make your doctor aware of your plan to go away to ensure that they are happy your condition can be managed while away from home.
Air travel is, typically, safe for people with heart failure, although you’ll need agreement from your doctor. If you are flying, consider getting some support at the airport so that you don’t strain yourself with lots of walking, stress over arrival times and exerting yourself with luggage.
Opt for a relaxing holiday with accommodation near to facilities and avoid extreme climates. In hot weather ensure that you stay as cool and hydrated as possible.