Ski Travel Insurance
Skiing trips are the perfect option if you are after something action filled or just something different from your summer beach holiday. It provides you with the ability to experience some of the most breath-taking views, whilst creating exhilarating memories that will last a lifetime. With bustling towns, luxurious spas and award winning resorts, there is plenty on offer – even when you’ve packed away your skis for the day.
What is Ski Travel Insurance?
Ski travel insurance provides cover specifically tailored for worldwide ski trips. Irrespective of whether or not you have a pre-existing medical condition, it is imperative to have an insurance policy that covers you on skiing trips – both on and off the slopes.
What is included in our Ski Insurance?
Free Spirit’s Ski Travel Insurance offers wide cover on numerous skiing related activities.
In order to be eligible, you must ensure that your usual treating GP is happy for you to take part in any skiing related activity. You are also obliged to follow the safety guidelines including using the recommended safety equipment (where applicable) and following local advice on areas to stick to and when.
Ski Travel Insurance is an optional extension for both Single-trip and Multi-trip policies, under both the ‘Super’ and ‘Super-Duper’ cover level. ‘Super Duper’ provides the widest level of cover and has been rated 5 star by Defaqto.
Ski insurance covers the following activities:
- On piste skiing/snowboarding in recognised areas (including off-piste when accompanied by a guide or instructor and provided you are not skiing against local recommendations or where avalanche warnings have been given)
- Alpine skiing
- Big foot skiing
- Cat skiing (with a guide)
- Cross country skiing
- Glacier walking
- Husky dog sledging (organised and with an experienced local driver)
- Ice skating
- Kick sledging
- Nordic skiing
- Passenger sledge
- Ski boarding
- Ski dooing
- Snow mobiling
- Snow parascending
- Snow shoe walking
- Snow tubing
- Snowcat driving
- Speed skating
Ski cover is only in force if presented on your policy schedule and the appropriate additional premium has been paid.
Ski travel insurance covers:
- Ski Equipment – Single article, pair or set limit and ski equipment (hired) limit
- Delayed Ski Equipment (for more than 12 hours or lost/damaged during trip)
- Ski Pack (loss of)
- Piste closure (per day resort is closed)
- Avalanche/weather delay (delayed more than 12 hours)
Why choose Free Spirit for Ski Travel Insurance?
- Most medical conditions and disabilities covered
- No upper age limit – travel available no matter your age
- Cover available for those on waiting lists
- Terminal conditions considered
- Up to £5,000 cancellation cover (Super Duper) or £2,500 (Super) per person – we may be able to provide higher levels of cancellation cover – please call us on 02392 419 080 for more details
- Single trips covered for up to 94 days (45 days if aged 76 years or over)
- Annual Multi-trip provides unlimited number of trips – travel up to 31 days per trip (Super) and 45 days (Super Duper)
- Online medical screening
- Cover for European and Worldwide destinations
- 24-hour emergency medical helpline, 365 days a year
FAQs for Skiing Holiday Insurance
1.What is ski travel insurance?
Free Spirit ski travel insurance is an optional extension, for both single and multi-trip policies, designed to provide ski specific cover for a trip or holiday, with an additional premium.
2.What cover levels offer ski travel insurance?
Both Super and Super-Duper cover levels offer the ski travel insurance extension.
3.Is there an age limit for ski travel insurance?
This is no upper age limit with Free Spirit.
4.Is there any skiing I am not covered for?
- Off-piste skiing/snowboarding without a guide or instructor
- Skiing/snowboarding against local authoritative recommendations, warnings or advice
- Ski stunting
- Free-style skiing
- Bob sleigh
- Ice hockey
- Ski acrobatics
- Ski flying
- Ski jumping
- Ski mountaineering
- Glacier Skiing
- Snowcat skiing
- Snow carting or the use of bob sleighs
- Luges or skeletons
- Any competitive skiing
5.If I have a pre-existing medical condition can I get ski travel insurance?
Subject to medical screening, and providing your usual treating GP is happy for you to participate in skiing, then you are eligible for ski travel Insurance.
6.Can I extend my policy if I decide to stay longer?
Subject to Underwriters agreement, your single trip insurance policy can be extended, providing we are notified before your policy expires and at the time of requesting the extension you are not intending to make a claim.
Please note – this is subject to the total trip duration including the extended period not exceeding 94 days (45 days if aged 76 years or over), which is the maximum trip duration of our single trip policy. You will be advised of the additional premium at the time of the request.
Please contact us on 02392 419 080 to discuss your requirements. We are open Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm, closed Bank Holidays.
7.Will I be covered for delayed ski equipment?
If ski travel insurance is added onto your policy, you will be covered for hiring essential ski equipment, providing your own is lost or stolen on the outward journey, misplaced for more than 12 hours or lost during your trip.
8.Will I be covered if I have a medical emergency whilst skiing?
You will be covered for medical emergencies whilst you are away, with the amount differing based on the chosen cover level. Want more information? Check out our summary of cover.
We have a 24-hour medical emergency and repatriation service, made up of friendly and knowledgeable staff who will, when necessary, guarantee medical bills, arrange repatriation and, if required, provide a medical escort.
Free Spirit – 24-hour Medical Emergency Assistance
+44 (0)203 829 6745
9.Will I be covered if there is a weather delay?
If ski travel insurance is added on to your policy, you will be covered in the case that your outward or return journey is delayed for more than 12 hours due to an Avalanche, lack of snow or severe weather conditions.
10.Will I be covered for piste closure?
If you select ski travel insurance you will be covered for each day your resort is closed and will be offered an alternative skiing area providing ALL skiing facilities are closed due to a lack of snow or an avalanche.
If you would like a non-obligation quote for ski travel insurance, please apply online or if you have any more questions please speak to our dedicated UK-based customer service team on 02392 419 080.