Affordable specialist Cystic Fibrosis Travel Insurance
Free Spirit was the first scheme of its type dedicated to those being declined cover elsewhere due to their medical conditions. We are now one of the UK’s largest specialist travel insurance providers for people with medical conditions including cystic fibrosis and disabilities.
We pride ourselves on flexibility and our insurance policy has been designed for people like you. We are confident that we can help you obtain insurance for that extra peace of mind protection!
Why choose Free Spirit?
Here are just some of the key features of our policy:
- No upper age limit on Single Trip & Annual Multi-trip
- Specific cover for medical aids & your prescribed medication
- Journey disruption including airspace closure (Super Duper only)
- Medical emergency helpline – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Repatriation to your home country – automatically included
It is very important though to seek confirmation from your doctor or consultant that you are fit to travel prior to booking your holiday, as flying with cystic fibrosis can cause a number of risks.
Have you thought about insuring your travelling companions on the same policy? Whether they have an existing medical condition or not, if they are included on the same Free Spirit policy as you, this will ensure the whole party is covered.
If you had to cancel your holiday due to your cystic fibrosis or associated medical conditions, travelling companions on the same policy would also be covered which may not be the case if they had taken out a separate policy elsewhere.
What if I don’t insure my cystic fibrosis?
Travelling abroad with a serious medical condition could be a worry in the event of a medical emergency. If you do not insure your existing medical conditions, this could leave you open to paying out for expensive medical treatment and hospital accommodation costs and in some countries, this could be thousands of pounds.
Cystic fibrosis is a genetic condition which affects the glands that produce body fluids and secretions. These fluids are much thicker and sticky than normal which will affect the function of the lungs and digestive systems. Symptoms usually start in early childhood and include a persistent cough, recurring chest and lung infections and poor weight gain.
There is no cure for cystic fibrosis. The aim of treatment is to ease the symptoms and make the condition easier to live with. Treatment can also prevent or reduce long-term damage caused by infections and other complications.
Treatment options include:
- bronchodilators – these are a type of medication that helps expand the airways inside the lungs making it easier to breathe
- antibiotics – to treat chest and lung infections
- physiotherapy – there are a range of exercises that can help clear mucus from the lungs
Getting a quote and cover for your travel insurance with cystic fibrosis
Cystic Fibrosis is an exhausting medical condition and it can make the most simple of tasks extremely difficult, like organising travel insurance. Some insurance providers don’t understand this condition and the varying levels of severity to it, however, here at Free Spirit, our staff are highly experienced and on hand to help with your insurance quote.
We have a sound knowledge of the condition and the additional associated medical conditions caused by it, such as recurring chest infections, liver failure, diabetes and infertility. However, it is important to disclose all your existing medical conditions to ensure you are fully covered.
Obtaining an instant quote is quick & easy on our interactive website which includes medical screening. We will ask you some questions about your cystic fibrosis so that you purchase the travel insurance cover you need:
- How many medicines do you take for the cystic fibrosis?
- How many unplanned hospital admissions have you had for this condition in the last year?
- Can you always walk 200yds on the flat without becoming short of breath?
- Have you had or are you on a waiting list for a lung or liver transplant?
- Have you ever been prescribed oxygen other than when you are in hospital?
- Do you have any impairment of kidney function?
- Do you have diabetes?
We’re on hand to help
If you do need help with getting a quote why not call us at our UK based offices on 02392 419 080 or if you try our frequently asked questions page you may find the answer you need here.
For full details of our cystic fibrosis travel insurance cover, please read our Free Spirit policy wording.