Travel Insurance to cover Rare Diseases
Why not let Free Spirit be your preferred specialist travel, insurance provider. We were the first scheme of its type specifically dedicated to those being declined travel insurance cover elsewhere, due to their health and have grown over the last 18 years to become one of the UK’s largest specialist providers for people with existing medical conditions and disabilities.
Free Spirit is different from standard travel insurance policies as we can provide essential cover for people with medical needs. We look at people’s health on an individual basis as we are aware everyone is unique and we will try and cover the majority of medical conditions including rare diseases and a terminal prognosis.
Some rare diseases and disorders Free Spirit covers:
Our guide to rare disease travel insurance
If you live with a rare disease, disorder or any other medical condition, the important part of buying travel insurance is to get the right cover. The last thing you want is to purchase a policy only to find it doesn’t cover the things you need. Should anything go wrong while on holiday, your Free Spirit insurance policy could be your saviour!
Key features of Free Spirit travel insurance:
- Most medical conditions including rare diseases covered
- No upper age limit on Single Trip and Annual Multi-trip
- Choice of two cover options – Super and Super Duper
- Single trips covered up to 94 days (45 days if aged 76 years or over)
- Annual Multi-trip provides an unlimited number of trips – travel up to 32 days per trip (Super) and 45 days (Super Duper)
- Journey disruption / Airspace closure cover
- Loss or damage to medical aids and prescribed medications
Why is it important to cover your rare disease before you travel?
It is not a legal requirement to buy specialist rare disease travel insurance when travelling. However, should you have a medical emergency, you could have to pay out thousands of pounds in medical costs or even repatriation charges if medically necessary.
There are many standard policies available at very cheap prices, however, check the policy wording carefully! It is possible they will not include the cover you need (or indeed may exclude existing medical conditions altogether!) which could leave you with hefty bills, especially in the event you had to cancel because of your conditions or need emergency assistance abroad.
Top tips for buying the best insurance for travelling with a rare disease
- Always add your family and travelling companions to your policy. They too can claim if you needed to cancel your holiday because of your medical condition or if it had to be cut short while away because you became unwell.
- Buy holiday insurance through a specialist provider as they can be more sympathetic to your unique medical problems and these policies are specially designed for people like you.
- Consider changing your destination to Europe rather than the USA, Canada, or the Caribbean. Medical costs can be very expensive in these areas of the world and repatriation is far from cheap. This doesn’t mean we can’t cover you outside Europe, however, be prepared for slightly higher premiums.
- Check that your policy has cover not just emergency medical and cancellation costs but also your personal belongings and travel documents. Your home insurance cover limits may not be sufficient to cover your travel baggage. If your flight is delayed does it cover you for travel delay or journey disruption? In the event, you lose your prescribed medication or medical aids, are these covered?
- Check the excess you will have to pay in the event of a claim. Some standard policies with cheap prices may be tempting, but it may have a high excess which could catch you out!
Get a specialist medical travel quote now!
Obtaining an instant quote and arranging cover with Free Spirit could not be easier, our interactive website includes online medical screening.
We’re on hand to help you
Free Spirit has a dedicated UK-based customer service team to answer any questions and help with your inquiries. If you would prefer to speak to us on 02392 419 080 your call will be treated with the utmost confidentiality.
Please read the Insurance Policy for the full terms, exclusions, and conditions of this specialist medical travel insurance cover to make sure it’s suitable for your needs.