Family Travel Insurance
At Free Spirit, we offer family travel insurance so you can go away with peace of mind that you and your loved ones are fully covered.
What to look for in travel insurance for your family holiday
If you tend to go away no more than once a year, a single trip travel insurance policy should suffice. If you enjoy travelling many times throughout the year, an annual travel insurance policy for the family may be worth considering.
Family holidays are often activity-filled so there tends to be more likelihood of accidents. That’s why it’s important you’re covered for any activity you partake in. Free Spirit policies include cover for over 100 activities, including camping, horse riding and whale watching, among others. Winter Sports can also be covered, subject to an additional premium. Now you can enjoy your holiday activities with peace of mind that you and your family are protected.
At Free Spirit, we offer specialist travel insurance for many different medical conditions. During your quote application, it’s important to declare any medical conditions you and your family have. This ensures your policy provides suitable cover to meet all your needs.
If you intend on travelling during the coronavirus pandemic, you are covered if you need medical attention for Coronavirus while abroad. Read about our coronavirus travel insurance.
How can Free Spirit travel insurance protect you and your family?
Free Spirit travel insurance allows you and your loved ones to enjoy a holiday knowing that you are all fully covered.
- Cover for most medical conditions and disabilities
- No upper age limit on Single Trip and Annual Multi-Trip cover
- Specific cover for medical aids and prescribed medications
- Over 100 activities included free
- Online medical screening, instant quotes and buy online
- ‘Super Duper’ level of cover is rated 5 Star by Defaqto
- Cover for cruises included
- Terminal conditions considered – call us on 02392 419 080
- 24-hour emergency medical helpline, 365 days a year
You can view a summary of our ‘Super’ and ‘Super Duper’ levels of cover here.
Do Free Spirit cover single parents under a family travel insurance policy?
Yes – cover can be provided for one parent or grandparent and their children or grandchildren (under the age of 18 on the date of purchase). Cover for children and grandchildren will only be provided if travelling with an insured adult.
What happens if a family member becomes sick?
If a family member becomes unwell whilst you are away, providing all medical conditions have been declared, Free Spirit will cover up to £10,000,000 (depending on cover level).
You will also be covered when travelling in the UK.
Requiring medical care when you are far from home can cause inconvenience and indirect costs. For this reason, Free Spirit includes areas of cover designed with domestic travel in mind.
For example, up to £10,000 is available for indirect medical costs if you fall ill or have an accident while you are away. Find out more about travel insurance UK.
Can grandparents take out a family travel insurance policy?
A family policy allows for two adults to be insured, meaning that parents or grandparents can take out a Free Spirit policy. What’s more, adults insured on an annual multi-trip policy are entitled to travel independently of each other if they decide to take some trips separately.
Top tips for travelling with the family
- Planning the right destination: When travelling as a family it is important to consider the type of location and whether or not it is an appropriate destination. For example, if you have young children it’s important to consider factors including journey duration, cuisine available and whether the country is familiar with the English language.
- Booking a child-friendly hotel: Whilst some hotels are exclusive to adults, others do cater for children. These offer everything from kid’s activity clubs to simple food options – perfect for fussy eaters. Your children are able to make friends and have fun whilst the adults relax and enjoy themselves.
- Plan in advance: It’s important to give yourself enough time to prepare for your family holiday. With children at school, it leaves only a small window to actually go away together, so planning in advance is key. Give yourself enough time to get all your documentation sorted and your packing organised. Holidays can be stressful enough so try not to leave things to the last minute!
- Getting vaccinations: Some destinations need vaccinations, so it’s important to seek medical advice four to six weeks prior to your departure date. Whether or not you need vaccinations, if you do have a pre-existing medical condition and have any concerns you should speak to your treating doctor to clear up any worries. This will allow you to relax and look forward to your trip.
- Enjoy yourself: Family holidays are bound to bring about a bicker or two, however it’s important to try and enjoy every moment of your holiday. Going away with your loved ones is a chance to make memories that will last a lifetime – so make the most of it!
If you still have any unanswered questions, then please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions.
Alternatively, please contact us on 02392 419 080 to discuss your requirements.