Travel Insurance to cover Prostate Cancer
The most common cancer in men in the UK is Prostate cancer. Over 40,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer every year according to Prostate Cancer UK and over 250,000 men are currently living with the disease.
Cancer treatments can be exhausting and you may feel you need to get away and have a well earned break. If the doctor advises you are fit to travel and you fancy a trip abroad, you will need to plan certain things in advance. Having cancer shouldn’t stop you from travelling but it may affect what you need to take with you, where you travel to and the sort of things you do while you’re away.
Advance planning tips
- If you need to have holiday vaccinations, it is always worth checking with your doctor that there will be no contra-implications with your prescribed medication.
- Radiotherapy treatment may make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so you may need to consider where you go and the things you do while you are away.
- If you have had a course of chemotherapy this can weaken your immune system, making it easier for you to pick up infections. You may need to pay closer attention to your health on holiday and using hand sanitizes can help.
- If you’ve had brachytherapy you are at risk of setting off airport radiation sensors. Ask your doctor for an advice card saying you’ve had treatment with internal radiation. Take this with you, especially when travelling by air.
- Cancer treatments such as surgery, hormone therapy and chemotherapy may increase your risk of getting a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) especially when flying, so speak to your doctor about this.
Specialist prostate cancer travel cover
Buying the right type of cancer travel insurance as soon as you book your holiday, will ensure you have the insurance protection you need before you go and while you are away. So that we can offer you a quote, we will ask sufficient questions about your prostate cancer to enable you to tell us about all of your medical history. The last thing you want is to purchase a policy only to find it doesn’t cover you because you forgot to tell us about your cancer or any other conditions.
If for example you had a medical problem relating to your cancer while you are away and you needed emergency hospital care, a standard travel insurance policy may not cover you for this. If however you have declared and covered all of your medical conditions with a specialist travel policy, then any medical emergency relating directly or indirectly to your declared medical conditions should be covered.
Why cover your cancer before you travel?
Travelling abroad with a medical condition will always be a worry but imagine how you may feel if you hadn’t protected yourself with travel insurance. What would you do if were left out of pocket from pre-paid holiday costs because you had to cancel your holiday due to your prostate cancer. Always include travelling companions on your policy; they could be your friends, family members or even your carer. They too should be able to claim if you needed to cancel your holiday because of your declared medical condition or if it had to be cut short while away because you became unwell.
There are many standard policies available on the market today and some at very cheap prices. For some people the price you pay for a policy will determine who you buy from. However do not be fooled, it is unlikely very cheap policies will include the cover you need for your medical condition and if you need to make a claim, you could be faced with high excesses or even no cover at all!
Why choose Free Spirit prostate cancer travel insurance?
- Cover for the majority of cancer conditions
- Terminal conditions considered – please call us on 0800 170 7704
- No age limit on Single Trip and Annual Multi-trip
- Choice of two cover options – Super and Super Duper
- Annual Multi-trip provides unlimited number of trips – travel up to 31 days per trip (Super) and 45 days (Super Duper)
- Loss or damage to medical aids and prescribed prostate cancer medications
- Kennel/Cattery costs if you are delayed due to illness (up to £500)
Get a specialist prostate cancer travel quote today!
Buying a specialist travel insurance cover from Free Spirit couldn’t be easier! Simply follow the steps through our interactive website and we will have you covered in no time. We will ask you some questions about your prostate cancer so that you get the cover that’s right for you, such as:
- Has the disease ever spread from the prostate to other parts of the body?
- How has your prostate cancer been treated?
- How long ago was the diagnosis made?
- If diagnosed more than a year ago, how often have you been seeing a hospital doctor about this?
- Are you taking strong painkillers every day for this condition?
- Are you currently on any form of hormone therapy?
In some cases it may not be possible to offer a quote online and we may ask you to call us.
Some people prefer to talk to us
Free Spirit has a dedicated customer service team based in the UK to answer any questions you may have. We understand that some medical conditions can be complicated and you may prefer to talk to us instead. You can call us on 0800 170 7704, we are open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday (closed Bank Holidays) and your call will be treated with the utmost confidentiality.
Peace of mind
We believe everyone should have the opportunity to travel abroad even if they have prostate cancer. For some people travelling away from home can be a worry especially if you have been unwell so, you will want to know you are protected while you are away, just in case!
Free Spirit has covered thousands of people in the past for all types of medical conditions and we pride ourselves in trying to find an insurance solution for everyone so that they can have a relaxing break away.
Free Spirit was the first scheme of its type and it is one of the UK’s largest specialist travel insurance schemes. Please read the Insurance Policy for the full terms and conditions of this specialist medical travel insurance cover to make sure it’s suitable for you.