Travel insurance for over 80s with medical conditions
Reaching 80 is a real milestone and there is no reason it should stop you from travelling overseas.
Many standard travel insurance providers may refuse to offer travel insurance for those over 80 years of age, so even revisiting your favourite holiday destinations can become difficult. Of the ones that do provide holiday insurance over 80, it can still be restrictive as many providers will exclude pre-existing medical conditions from their policies.
In contrast, our specialist over 80s travel insurance is specifically designed to help people of any age go on holiday with complete peace of mind, regardless of existing medical conditions or disabilities*.
Medical travel insurance over 80
We are firm believers that age shouldn’t restrict you from travelling abroad and securing holiday insurance over 80 shouldn’t be a chore. Our over 80s travel insurance is part of our no age limit cover, where you can select the level of cover to match your travel requirements.
Free Spirit’s cover is flexible and can be tailored to either a single trip away or, for more than one holiday abroad over the course of a year, we can also cover annual multi-trip travel insurance for over 80s**. We aim to offer true travel freedom for travellers over the age of 80, with a wide range of cover benefits included and the ability to travel both in Europe and Worldwide.
Over 80s travel cover for all types of holidays
Whether you want to go away for a short city break, a week or two to your favourite holiday location, or perhaps a European cruise, we can provide cover for over 80s*. Even if you want to spend over a month away, our over 80s travel insurance can cover you*. You can travel for up to 45 days on a single trip policy and also under a multi-trip ‘Super Duper’ policy. Our multi-trip ‘Super’ cover provides cover for 31 days each trip.
Both our ‘Super Duper’ and ‘Super’ levels of cover for over 80s provide a fantastic level of cover, with ‘Super Duper’ incorporating some extra features, including:
- Scheduled airline failure insurance – cover in the event that your scheduled airline goes out of business before you depart.
- Journey Disruption / Airspace closure – provides cover in the event of a natural disaster, or if the Foreign & Commonwealth office (FCO) advises against travel to your holiday destination.
Peace of mind holiday insurance for over 80s
By purchasing our over 80’s insurance you can set off on holiday knowing you are covered for:
- Emergency medical expenses should you have an accident or fall ill abroad
- Repatriation to your home country (only if medically necessary and approved by the assistance company)
- Costs if you need to cut short your trip for reasons including illness, jury service and redundancy
- Unexpected costs getting home if you cannot travel as planned
- Convalescence at home after being hospitalised abroad
- Loss or damage of travel documents, luggage, medication, medical aids, or money.
Please note that policy limits, terms and conditions will apply as shown in the policy wording.
We also provide a 24-hour emergency helpline, so you can reach the assistance company anytime you need to during your trip, day or night.
Over 80s travel insurance that also covers your family
Our travel insurance policies for over 80s can be adapted to cover anyone you’re due to travel with too. This could be family, friends, a carer, anyone you’ll be spending your time away with.
They’ll benefit from all the same features of cover and, most importantly, will also be eligible for cancellation cover alongside you, if you had to cancel your holiday due to your health***. Claiming for cancellation insurance can be tricky and time-consuming when everyone has separate policies with different providers.
Why choose Free Spirit if you’re over 80?
- No upper age limit
- Most medical conditions and disabilities can be covered
- Fully interactive website including online medical screening
- Dedicated team based in the UK
- Journey disruption / airspace closure cover available on ‘Super Duper’ cover
- Loss or damage to medical aids, including wheelchairs and prescribed medications
- 24 hour medical emergency helpline
Please read the insurance policy for the full terms and conditions of our over 80s travel insurance to make sure it’s suitable for your needs.
Travel insurance for over 80s that includes existing medical conditions
Free Spirit recognises that as you get older you may be more likely to have a medical condition. Our over 80 travel insurance covers many disabilities and the majority of medical conditions – including high cholesterol, cancer and a host of cardiac conditions, such as angina.
These are just a few of the existing conditions covered by our over 80s travel insurance:
- Heart Conditions
- Mental Health Conditions
- Cerebral Conditions
- HIV and AIDS
- Circulatory Conditions
- Central Nervous System Disorders
- Breathing Conditions
- Joint Conditions
- Kidney Conditions
- Liver Conditions
- Bowel Conditions
- Terminal conditions considered – please call us on 0800 170 7704 to discuss further
Applying for over 80s travel insurance
We understand that our customers want to purchase their specialist travel insurance quickly and easily, but also want the opportunity to speak to someone if they need to discuss their medical history in more detail.
Our online medical screening and application process is simple and convenient, however if you’d rather speak to someone over the phone, our friendly UK-based team are also on hand from 8am to 6pm Monday – Friday (except Bank Holidays). Please give us a call on 0800 170 7704.
Further advice on travel insurance for over 80s
For more information from us on travelling over the age of 80, please take a look at the following resources, or simply contact us.
Read our top tips for over 80s travel before heading off on your next holiday.
Age is just a number and we can prove it! Be inspired by these tales of adventurous octogenarians.
Don’t let the fear of trips and falls prevent you from going on holiday. See how Free Spirit can help give you peace of mind as an over 80s holiday maker.
Senior travel insurance with medical cover made simple – see our policy cover for age and medical related travel.