USA Travel Insurance
Are you thinking of a getaway to Las Vegas? A family holiday in Orlando? Or a ski trip in Aspen? It is not surprising that so many take holidays in the USA, as it has so much to offer to so many. Be drawn in by its warm culture and spectacular sights. Visit its many renowned capitals, each showcasing their own unique landmark and character.
When planning your trip to the USA, it is important to have travel insurance.
America’s healthcare system is known as expensive and privatised, so don’t be caught out.
Your travel insurance should cover medical emergencies you may encounter, and that is even more important if you have pre-existing medical conditions.
What to do in America
Across America’s six time zones, there is a wide variety of landscapes and micro-climates.
You could be adventurous and explore mountainous North-west America, planning in a bit of skiing while you are there. Or even brave the deserts of California, Idaho, Utah and Oregon. On the other hand, there are plenty of beach locations on each coast if you envisage somewhere more calming.
If you’ve not made up your mind and need some travel inspiration, here are some ideas of what to do in America:
• Watch the Superbowl: The Superbowl has become a national holiday and global phenomenon. If you love American football, music or hot dogs, then this is something worth getting tickets for. It happens once a year and is watched by millions.
• Visit the Grand Canyon: Be breath-taken by Arizona’s immense Grand Canyon. Whether it’s hiking the Bright Angel Trail or rafting down the Colorado River – this is the place for any aspiring adventurer.
• Visit Yellowstone: Yellowstone national park allows you to be at one with nature. You could experience the hot springs and hiking trails. Or visiting the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center may be more to your liking – where you can learn all about these fascinating animals – and maybe even get up close to some of them!
• Visit New York: New York, referred to as the big apple, offers almost everything. You can see the Brooklyn Bridge during the day then venture to Times Square in the evening. Just be warned – with so much to see and do it may become all too apparent why New York is sometimes known as ‘the city that never sleeps’!
• Visit Charleston: Charleston is an underrated gem of a city. Home to stunning architecture, sun-kissed beaches and a splash of southern charm. If you are exploring the USA, make sure Charleston is on the list.
Advice for Travelling to the USA
If you do have an upcoming trip to the USA, here are a few tips to bear in mind:
Visa: If you’re travelling to the USA, make sure you understand whether you need a visa. The Visa Waiver Program (VSP) allows nationals from certain countries to enter the US. This is providing they will be there no longer than 90 days and for tourism only. Entering the country under the VWP, you need to apply for authorisation. You do this before your trip through the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA). For more information, visit the US Customs and Border Protection ESTA website.
If you don’t qualify for the VWP, then you will need to apply for a visa to visit the USA.
Emergencies: The emergency service number in the USA is 911. In the event that you need immediate medical attention, call this number to receive the best possible care. As soon as possible, contact your travel insurer and notify them of what has happened. In the case of a medical emergency, the insurance provider will liaise with doctors to ensure you receive the best possible care.
Road Safety: The USA traffic and parking laws imposed must be adhered to. Certain rules such as speed limits and following road signs are strictly enforced. There will be differences in the laws of the road for America compared to the UK. Remember that jaywalking can be punishable in many states, and Americans drive on the right-hand side of the road. Please ensure you have checked key differences in driving before travelling, as we don’t want your trip to be ruined.
What are the benefits of USA travel insurance?
Our USA travel insurance covers trips to the USA, with the following benefits:
- Practically all medical conditions and disabilities covered for peace of mind
- No upper age limits
- Option of either single (up to 94 days) or multi trip (unlimited trips in a 12-month period)
- Over 100 activities covered free
- Online medical screening
- Terminal conditions considered – call us on 02392 419 080
- 24-hour emergency medical helpline, 365 days a year
What does USA travel insurance cover?
USA travel insurance offers both Single Trip and Annual Multi-trip policies. if you are planning one or more trips to America, an American annual multi-trip policy is ideal. However, for a one-off holiday, a single trip policy will suit your needs perfectly.
Free Spirit offers two levels of cover, so you can choose which best suits your travel needs.
Benefits include cover for:
- Emergency medical & associated expenses (outside your home country)
- Aftercare at home following hospitalisation
- State hospital benefit
- Curtailment (cutting your trip short)/loss of holiday
- Personal accident
- Personal liability
- Delayed departure (after 12 hours delay)/trip cancellation (after 12 hours delay)
- Legal advice & expenses
Click here to view a full summary of cover.
Cover will fall under our policy for worldwide cover including Canada, Caribbean, China, Hong Kong and the USA.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there cheap travel insurance to the USA for someone with a pre-existing medical condition?
Free Spirit offers affordable travel insurance to the USA for people with medical conditions. Some of the most common medical conditions we cover include: high blood pressure, asthma, type 2 diabetes, heart attacks and breast cancer.
Is there an age limit for travel insurance to the USA?
Many travel insurance providers only offer cover up to a certain age. Free Spirit do not have an upper age limit on travel insurance to the USA.
If I take out a multi-trip policy, can I travel to the USA more than once?
Yes, with a Multi Trip Policy, you can enjoy unlimited trips to the USA and many other global destinations. This is within a 12-month period with annual travel insurance tailored to your condition or disability. If any health-related changes occur during this time, you will need to notify us. We can then adapt your policy to meet your needs.